Tuesday, January 19, 2016

L is for La Luna (Moon): Oreo Cookie Moon Phase Activity

Alyssa has been learning about the moon phases. We were at the table brainstorming Blogging Through the Alphabet blog posts when I remembered that moon in Spanish was la luna.

Today I will share with you a fun hands-on activity I did with my 8-year-old daughter to help her understand the moon phases better. She cut or gently scraped off the white frosting. We used only four Oreo cookies. She started with the full/new moon. She carefully split each one in half by twisting them. She organized them on a paper plate. The activity was super easy to complete and definitely solidified learning.
I think she liked the activity!
But I know she enjoyed eating the cookies more ;)
There are so many wonderful free printables about the moon phases. I recommend using ones that match the diagram of the moon cycle phase. Google Oreo Cookie Moon Phases to explore your options!

I also played Mr. Lee's Phases of the moon Rap as she worked. She enjoyed singing along and used it to review the phases after the activity concluded.  She pointed to each moon phase as she sang.


I will link this post up at Life at Rossmont's Wordless Wednesday Linky and Through the Calm Through the Storm's Blogging Through the Alphabet Linky. The focus for Week 12 will be on "Letter L" posts.







2 comments:

  1. I really need to try this with my boys, I know they would love it!

    ReplyDelete