Thursday, January 3, 2013

Joy Dare: Three Things Heard (January 1st)

There is a book on the market that has been on my wish list for over a year now. The title of the book is One Thousand Gifts. It is written by Ann Voskamp, an inspirational speaker and author, who has had a profound influence on many individuals today. Ann can also be found blogging on her amazing blog called A Holy Experience. I came across her blog last year and the music alone caught my attention. I wanted to participate in the 2012 Joy Dares, but didn't due to lack of motivation and I regretted it. I WILL be participating in her 2013 Joy Dare Challenge this year. Will you?

I searched through the house because I knew somewhere in this cluttered mess I would find two blank journals. One of my daily goals this year is to spend time with my daughter each day journaling (listing) our blessings or gifts from God. I believe by participating in this challenge, my walk with God will flourish and my faith will become stronger. The year 2012 brought many obstacles and my faith suffered during my depression. I feel in my heart that I wasn't as grateful as I should have been ... or could have been for the numerous blessings we received from God. Joy Dare will help me acknowledge these blessings or gifts every single day. It will help me open my eyes and focus on gratitude instead of complaining or being ungrateful. Her Joy Dare prompts will also challenge me to think creatively and to dig deeper by "seeing" things in a new light.

I am starting this project late. Better late than never! I am not sure if I will post photos daily, weekly, or if I will just end up listing my gifts in my personal journal. This year I just want to actually participate and follow through with my goal. I know that God will lead me in the right direction and only time will tell where this project will take me.

It's time for me to give thanks for the things I already have in life ... to appreciate the here and now.

"Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you." (1 Thessalonians 5:18 ESV)

Three Things Heard
Water  
The trickling and rushing sounds of water from the faucet. Water is essential to our well being. It's hydrating and refreshing on a hot day. There are many people around the world without healthy drinking water. The water they drink is contaminated - full of toxins and waste. Today, I am thankful that we have running water to quench our thirst, to use when cooking, to water plants, and to bathe ourselves. Water has so many uses in our lives. 

Alyssa Breathing
"Then the Lord God formed the man of dust from the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living creature. " (Genesis 2:7 ESV)

I hear the quiet sounds of my daughter murmuring sweet nothings in her sleep. I can hear her breathing without the constant cough that caused my poor baby girl to have a restless night. Her breathing reminds me of how precious her life is and that each breath must be appreciated as a treasured gift from God. I take in the peaceful moment and appreciate the fact that He has blessed me with this spirited, loving child. I pray that she feels better soon.  

"The Spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life." (Job 33:4 ESV)

Heat
The humming and soothing sound of a working heater. In our last house we had central air and heat. I am grateful that my hubby could find an affordable heater for us to use in what we call "the classroom," so that we can work diligently without parts of our body going numb from being cold. I don't know about you but when I am cold or too hot - I can't think or focus on concepts with proper attention. I know that there are people in colder parts of the world right now suffering during the cold winter months. I pray that God will provide the warmth they need when they are cold. I pray that their hearts, body, and minds will be warmed with God's everlasting love during their time of need. 

Would you like to participate in Ann's Joy Dare Challenge? You can find the Joy Dare printables here. Do you own an iPad, iPhone, or Android if so then you can download the app. You can read about her book One Thousand Gifts and the Joy Dare challenge at A Holy Experience. I hope you will accompanying me as I reveal God's abundant blessings in our life. You can share your thoughts on her blog or with the Facebook community. Please let me know in the comments below if you will be participating. We can encourage one another. 

I will also link this post to Scripture and a Snapshot hosted by Jennifer at A Glimpse of Our Life.

Scripture and Snapshot

3 comments:

  1. This is a great idea! I've wanted to do something similar, but wasn't quite sure how to keep up. I will check out the App!

    PS-thanks for the follow. Looking forward to checking out your site!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The joy dare is wonderful and I need to remember to type mine up. Great blog. new follower.

    Shannon @ butterfly wishes wonderland dreams (kid lit, kid art, and Outdoor fun)
    http://lettersnumbersandbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great list and way to count our blessings need to follow through with a whole month, off to write down my list. Love your middle one: your childs breathing that is a wonderful one!

    Shannon @ butterfly wishes wonderland dreams (kid lit, kid art and Outdoor fun)

    http://lettersnumbersandbooks.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete