Saturday, January 5, 2013

100 Bible Verse Challenge for 2013

The other day I was reading about the 100 Bible Verse Challenge on several different Schoolhouse Review Crew blogs. I realized that I definitely needed to participate in the challenge described by so many. My daughter and I would memorize a scripture verse here and there, but this would actually challenge me and give us a starting point. I want to know more about God and His Word. I have a strong desire to develop a closer relationship with Him. This is something I feel called to do at this time in my life. I NEED to memorize scripture more often and I must start TODAY.

I decided that day that Alyssa (Age 5) and I will attempt to memorize 100 Bible verses in 2013. The idea is to memorize two verses per week for 50 weeks. We are starting late so hopefully we'll be able to catch up quickly. Alyssa is  fairly good at memorizing so depending on the length of the verses she may be able to keep up with me or I may be able to keep up with her pace. She already knew the first verse. The Bible verses will come from Robert J. Morgan's 100 Bible Verses Everyone Should Know By Heart. The book sounds absolutely wonderful unfortunately we will be participating without the book. Shanna will post the verses on her blog. A Facebook fan also posted memorization cards to help us all on this journey. The Kindle version is the most affordable price if you are interested and own a Kindle. 
100 Bible Verses in 2013

I still consider myself a fairly new Christian. I am an avid learner and have been eager to know more about God. This is my opportunity. I want to have the ability to recite scripture to my daughter when necessary. 

"All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting, and training in righteousness." -2 Timothy 3:16 

Week 1 Verses
"In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth." Genesis 1:1 (ESV) 

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1 (ESV) 

We will add these verses to our Scripture Memory System. We started using this system a long time ago and it has proved to be a very reliable and helpful way to memorize scripture. Check out my Scripture Memory System post for a link to a freebie with alternative verses just in case you already have the ones from the book memorized.

Do you know of any creative ways to memorize scripture? Leave your suggestions in the comment section below. 

Shanna, the author of the Learning at His Feet blog, can further explain how this challenge will work. Please click on the link to her blog to read about the details. There is a Facebook group with over 220+ participates taking the challenge and providing encouragement for each other. Make sure you ask to join the group!

I am not sure if you have a Kindle or an iPad but I came across two apps that may be helpful during this challenge.

Kindle App: Remember Me Bible Verse Memory (Thank you Dawn W.)

iPad App: Scripture Typer (Shanna recommended Scripture Typer.)

Do you have a Bible Verse Memory app to recommend? Please leave your recommendation as a comment. 

Do you want to join the Bible Verse Memorization challenge with us? Here is the link to Week 1 which also includes a memorization tip. Don't forget to contact Shanna so that you can be added to the Facebook group. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you and your daughter are joining the challenge! Thanks for blogging about it as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for encouraging Scripture Memorization! The Remember Me Bible Verse Memory System is also available for Android and iOS.

    ReplyDelete